Advice to new runners/exercisers

 

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of running! The only sport that has no half time, bench, seventh inning stretch etc. As we say: running is a mental sport, and we are all insane!

Here is some advice I can give you. Most of this I learned the hard way.

The most important thing is to get the proper shoes. You should go to a running store to get them. Not a general sports store. The salespeople in those stores are probably kids doing summer jobs and know nothing about runners. At a running store most of the people are runners so they will know what they are talking about. They will analyze your gait and suggest the best shoes. In my case I pronate which means when my foot falls it tilts inward. So, I wear a stability shoe. Some of the shoe brands are Brooks, Asics, Saucony, Mizuno, Hoka etc. I am wearing Brooks and Saucony now. I used to use Asics, but I was having some leg pain issues during long runs, so I switched, and the pain went away. When choosing a shoe make sure you are comfortable in them. Don’t worry about all the technical stuff. Once they point you to a shoe type (neutral, stability, etc.) then it boils down to comfort.

The next thing is socks. Don’t wear anything with cotton in them. Cotton keeps the sweat in. You want something that wicks the sweat away. I like Balega socks. Most running stores sell them. They are expensive but well worth the investment. I can tell you from experience that when I switched from cotton to Balega I noticed a huge difference in my running. There are all kinds of other brands. The main thing is no cotton.

Same cotton thing goes for shirts and pants. You don’t have to do the compression tights, there are plenty of running pants available. I use the tights because of the compression. Compression helps my muscles during the run by keeping them nice and tight and for the recovery after a run

Another thing that helps me. Shoelaces. I was always having trouble with them being too tight, too loose, untying etc. So, I got Nathan lock laces. I replace the shoelaces with them, and I never have a problem.

Wash your running clothes every day. By hand. Use a little soap or vinegar if you want but warm water in the sink should be fine. And you should wash them, not your spouse, not your kids, you. It should be part of your routine. Don't put them in the dryer. Hang them up. They should be dry by the next day.

Now for the running part. Take it slow. There is no rush. Don’t obsess over time. You can use time as a motivator, that is, time your run and then see how you do the next day given the same route and conditions. I used to do this. I still time some of my runs just to see how I am doing as far as speed is concerned but I don’t do it every day. I was putting too much pressure on myself doing that, so I stopped timing my runs. I have a general idea by checking when I leave and when I finish but I don’t time myself to the second.

Make sure you drink. Don’t use sports drinks. They have too much sugar. Water is enough maybe with a little juice mixed in. In my case I don’t need much. I can run 10 miles without drinking anything but when I run longer than that I will take my water with me. Later we can talk about electrolytes etc. Bottom line is that everyone is different. You will have to see what works for you. In the beginning you won’t be running far or for long periods of time, so you probably won’t need anything, but everyone is different. There are plenty of running belts that have water bottles and holders. Of course, this will be more of an issue when it is hot/humid.

Also, you must decide what time of day is best for you. Family stuff comes first so you must take that into consideration. In my case I run right after davening in the morning (7:30). I don’t run at night for 2 reasons. First, I don’t want to trip and fall, and second, I can’t fall asleep after. I run on an empty stomach.  If I am doing a long run (10 miles or more) then I take sports gels and water with me. Here is another dirty secret. Make sure you poop before you run!

Realize that you will have a harder time running when the humidity is high or when it is cold. Last year in the summer when I was in NY, I did a 5-mile run in Prospect Park in Brooklyn. It was hot, sunny, and humid. I had to stop a few times during the run. I had a harder time doing that 5-mile run than I did on the previous Sunday in Montreal at the Old Port doing 20 miles.

I like to listen to music when I run. I have AfterShokz headphones. They let you listen to music and let you hear your environment. They are much safer than in your in the ear headphones. Always take your cell phone, ID, and some cash (or credit card) with you. Get a running belt to store your stuff. You can get one that comes with 2 plastic water bottles. Some people have this arm thing they use for their phone. I prefer a running belt. You can get one on Amazon.

Run varying routes. That way you won't get bored. Also, try to find some routes with hills. Hills are important to build up strength. I use mapmyrun.com to create routes. I have about 10 different routes that I have used over the years. Some are flat and some are hilly.

Keep a log. I do it with a simple spreadsheet. I record the date, mileage, Route name, and the time (if I timed the run). I also keep track of total mileage to date, and average mileage per day. If I time a run, then I will calculate my pace. In 2 years, you will look at this log and say to yourself. Wow! I can’t believe how far I have come. I also keep track of which shoes I wear for the run. I am currently rotating 3 pairs. Once shoes reach about 450 miles they need to be changed. Hey, running isn't a cheap sport!

You will have good runs and bad runs. You will have days when you don’t want to run for whatever reason. Those are the days you should push yourself. I’ve had some of my best runs on days when I just didn’t want to run. Don’t worry about a bad run. The next day will be better. It’s OK to take a rest day. I don’t know how often you will run but whatever you do you must listen to your body. You will know when it is time to take a rest.

Getting back to what I said at the beginning that running is a mental sport. This is very true. Before I did my first marathon, I was in a running store here in Montreal. I asked the sales lady who looked to be my age if she ever ran a marathon. She said “Yes, I’ve run 7”. I asked her what advice she could give me. She said, “The first 20 miles is physical, your training will get you there, the last 6 miles is all mental”. This is the best piece of advice I got. The truth is that everything is relative. For someone who hasn’t run at all and is just starting out the first 100 feet will be physical and the next 20 feet will be mental. Then when they get better at it the first 2 miles will be physical and the next half mile will be mental. The most important thing you must do is defeat the voice inside your head that keeps saying you can’t do this.

Most of all, enjoy the hourney

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Blog!

Children and Sugar

Healthy Living According to the Rambam (Maimonides)