A Dose of Inspiration - Part 4

Inspiration comes in all kinds of different ways. I've written about three runners who inspire me and hopefully will inspire you. Today I want to talk about inspiration from the spectators at a marathon. They provide us with much needed inspiration during the race. Be it the signs, the cheering, or the calling out of our names they are a big part of what gets us to the finish line. Let me give you a personal example. Towards the end of the race just outside Central Park with about 1/2 mile to the finish line I was completely out of gas; not even fumes. I was running (if you can call it that) on an injured ankle and it was killing me.  There was a group of spectators cheering me on. Somehow they gave me a shot of adrenaline and I was able to sprint past while high fiving them. To this day I don't know how I did it!

But let me tell you about Emily Litman.

The NYC marathon crosses five bridges. The start is the Verrazano. Then there are: The Pulaski, Queensborough, Willis Avenue, and finally the Madison Avenue Bridge. The Madison is at mile 20 where runners hit the infamous "wall". It is on this bridge that Emily cheers us on with her famous sign. She provides us with the shot in the arm that helps us navigate those last 6 miles to the finish line. Emily stands there all day as the runners go by and is as much a part of the marathon as the runners! Emily is an inspiration!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Blog!

The Little Voice

Children and Sugar