A Dose of Inspiration - Part 1

Many people have told me that I am an inspiration. I usually answer them "From my inspiration to your perspiration!" But seriously, my only hope is that they move past the compliment and take up some sort of exercise.

In the next 3 posts I will highlight a runner who has and continues to inspire me. I'm hoping that they will inspire you also. Each of them embodies the expression "There is no such thing as I can't"

At the NYC Marathon last November I met a very special person. His name is Bill Bucklew.  Here is what happened.

The marathon starts on Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano Bridge. We cross into Brooklyn and run north on 4'th avenue. At some point at about mile 6 I noticed a runner  wearing a jersey that said that he was running for Parkinson's research. There were a few other runners with the same jersey. The difference was that his was blue and the others were white. Figuring that he was the head of the group I ran up beside him and thanked him for his effort on behalf of Parkinson's research. I also told him that my father passed away from Parkinson's. He responded that his father also had Parkinson's and passed away last year. Then he told me something that I will never forget. He said, "I have Parkinson's". I responded, "You are a true inspiration to me, and I am running this marathon if for no other reason than to see you and be inspired by you". He thanked me and we went on our separate ways. I then ran up to the other runners and told them how inspired I was and that it is a honor to run with them. After returning to Montreal I posted the story on a NYCM Facebook page and asked anyone who knew him to tell him that I finished the race for him. 

After posting the story another runner connected me with Bill Bucklew. Bill told me that a documentary was being filmed and that our encounter was recorded. He also told me that I inspired him. He sent me the link the next day. It was an amazing experience meeting and being inspired by Bill. He had early onset Parkinsons's and upon learning that exercise slows the progression of the disease he took up running. He's completed lots of marathons since then and hopefully he will inspire you also.

 You can see the video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePSbkb6lLk4

 And you can read more about Bill Here: https://www.uncorkedadventures.org/ 

 You can watch his Ted talk here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYZ1w1d_ZQk

 


 

Shmarya

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Blog!

The Little Voice

Children and Sugar